Saturday 18 August 2018 | 8:42 AM Damascus Local Time
  • US Cuts $230 Million to Syria

    US

    Agencies (Qasioun) - The United States on Friday announced it was cutting about $230 million in stabilization money to northeast Syria and said future global reconstruction funds for the country will depend on a U.N.-led peace process.

     

    The U.S. State Department in a statement said the decision, which was authorized by the Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, was made after other members of the global coalition against the Islamic State (IS) made contributions and pledges of about $300 million to Syria.

     

    “This decision was made by the secretary, in consultation with the White House, and took into account the already significant military and financial contributions made by the United States to date, the president’s guidance on the need to increase burden-sharing with allies and partners, and significant new pledges made by coalition partners,” the statement read.

     

    In the past, U.S. officials have repeatedly said their priority in Syria is the enduring defeat of the IS terror group, which according to the coalition has lost control over all but a few areas it previously held.

     

    Earlier this year, U.S. President Donald Trump announced he wanted to withdraw from the war-ravaged country. It was reported in late March that he froze more than $200 million in recovery funds to Syria, questioning how the money was being used in the country.

     

    Source: VOA

    USA U.S.A. U.S. Syria Donald Trump world news